Beauty packaging is known to take center stage to all other products in a store. Manufacturers have to really concentrate on attracting customers because the field is extremely competitive and filled with products offering the same results.
In order to catch a customer’s eye, you need to understand your ideal customers. When you understand the wants and needs of your target market you are able to better advertise
to them. When creating packaging, lots of
target market research should go into the process.
To start, cosmetic companies should consider and research their current customers’:
- Age range
- Skin tone
- Skin type
- Personal morals
Ways to Test Out Your Packaging
Once you understand your customer, you can focus on testing your products and packaging on them. There’s a number of ways to do this, including:
- Focus Groups: This is a small group of diverse people who you can showcase your products to. You are better able to determine who will use your products by the way the focus group responds.
- One-on-One Customer Interviews: Here you are able to let the customer use the product. They can give you their honest feedback and possible suggestions to make the product better.
- Surveys: Surveys are a good way to gain anonymous feedback. Many people are too polite to tell you if they don’t like a product. Without putting your name on a review, people are more likely to be honest.
What Elements of Packaging Should You Test?
Gaining feedback on your packaging can help improve your overall success. The packaging of a product gives your brand a personality. In order to achieve the personality you want for your brand it is important to get feedback on:
- Materials: Find out if your customer is drawn to a specific material, like glass, metal, plastic, etc.
- Type of Packaging: While the type of packaging may change based on the application, there’s a number of ways to utilize tubes, jars, boxes, bags, bottles, or cans. Understanding the end goal of your customer is an important part of choosing the type of packaging.
- Fonts: While your brand may stick to using a specific font, experimenting with cursive, block letters, gothic, and other fonts could be helpful in developing a new product line. During research you can have your customer share what adjectives come to mind when they see each type of font.
- Colors: Colors say a lot about a brand. Popular colors range between bright, natural, rustic, and pastels. Colors like red and pink are often associated with passion and femininity. While colors like green and brown may be shown to showcase eco-friendly products – as they are earthy colors.
- Brand Messages: The message you present will attract certain groups of people. Your brand message could be motivating, insightful, inspiring, or all three.
Research Will Give Results!
Although each type of packaging says something different about the product or brand, they all have to be appealing to the customer. The main goal of beauty products is to enhance their consumer’s natural beauty and to make them feel great. This experience starts with the packaging of their product. With a little target market research, beauty companies will be on the road to success!